Friday, November 11, 2005

Revolution Update

I just read the transcript to the speech that Regie Fils-Aime made yesterday at IGN, and I just wanted to skip to what he had to say about the Revolution. You can read that part of his speech here. He made many interesting points that pretty much gave me comfort in the Revolution's future.

Nintendo is not in this console race right now because they can not afford it and they wish not to rush into development. And from the speech, Nintendo has made agreements with some third-party developers already, meaning they have gotten past that nervous feeling of wanting to be a part of the Revolution (nervous of losing money that is).

But the Revolution is looking more and more promising each day, still upholding their promise to download NES and SNES games, along with the backward compatibility for playing Gamecube games.

Nintendo also commented on the controller, the most talked about piece of the Revolution these past months. They hope to expand the possibilities of the remote's functions, such as the additional joystick, and the base controller, so "you can have it both ways. Familiar or revolutionary. One hand or two. Today's games or tomorrow's." That was my favorite part of the speech.

But one question still remains. Playstation 3 or Nintendo Revolution? I doubt I will ever get an Xbox 360 for the sake of me not really wanting it. The PS3 is also guaranteeing backward compatibility, which allows me to hang onto such gems as FFVII and FF Chronicles, and allows me to get the PS2 games I missed out on such as MGS2 and 3. The Xbox 360 is trying to be almost "too sweet" by making most games high definition, and not promising that all Xbox games will be backward compatible. The only Xbox game I care about is (not Halo,) Knights of the Old Republic. I might just get that for PC when I get my college computer.

So take care folks, and may the Force be with you. Always.

No comments: