Monday, October 31, 2005

Final Fantasy VII: Finally beat it!

Yes, after 16 months of gameplay, half of that time not even playing, I have conquered Sephiroth and stopped Meteor from crashing down on Midgar, which would have ultimately destroyed the planet. Why it took me so long to get around to beating this game, I will never know. What matters is it has finally happened.

So thanks to daylight savings time I would not feel guilty about using that extra hour to play games. I woke up at aroun 8 AM (I know it was very early) and decided to traverse down North Crater. I took my time getting a few levels up and gathering items and materia (materia which I did not even use). This time, though, I used the Save Crystal at the correct spot: right before jumping into the core of the planet to fight Jenova Absolute.

Note: None of the three final bosses killed me, it was one of the extremely strong monsters before them whom I took too lightly that did it.

So Cloud, Barret and Cid (I replaced Vincent with Barret because Mr. Valentine was a little too weak) took of Jenova Absolute. Jenova was a piece of cake my friends. After her destruction, we were at the core of the planet and saw Sephiroth in his true form.

Biazzaro Sephiroth was a bit difficult, not strengthwise, but strategy wise. I had two teams fighting, Cloud, Barret and Cid on the left, Vincent, Tifa and Red XIII on the right. I kept hammering on him with the party on the left, when what I needed to do was destroy his defenses from the right first. So boom, he geos down.

Next came the One Winged Angel himself, Safer Sephiroth. The only thing I worried about is his Super Nova attack, which packed a punch indeed, but could not kill me. My strategy here was to pound on him with Cloud, Summon with Barret, and use Megalixers with Cid. It was just a back and forth battle, I do not know what I was worried about. Once Cloud reached his Limit, I whipped out the Level 4 Omnislash and Safer Sephiroth could not take any of it. Dead.

So everyone was all "Yay, he is dead, but what about the planet?" Then Cloud went a bit crazy. He knew Sephiroth was still alive, but it was only in his head. By the way, that is because Cloud is a failed clone of Sephiroth. What Cloud did is, without hesitation, whipped out Omnislash on Sephiroth and went berserk on him. In his bloody mess, Sephiroth imploded into nothingness and was gone.

Note: I am pretty sure he comes back as a clone in Advent Children, I saw the screenshot.

But Meteor was still crashing down on the planet, and Holy was not helping defend against it, but fueling the madness. Until the planet responded with the Lifestream, and saved humanity. Flash forward 500 years, we see Nanaki (aka Red XIII) run toward a cliff with two younglings and look down upon Midgar, which has been overtaken by plants and moss and foliage.

The only thing left for me is Advent Children, out on DVD within the next two months. The puppets of Sephiroth and Jenova must be stopped.

No comments: