Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Round 1 - Bracket A - Match 3

3. James Bond 007: Nightfire





Vs.






6. Metroid Prime

Here are two pretty enjoyable first-person shooters I have for Gamecube. First is James Bond 007: Nightfire, which plays out just like a Bond movie, complete with awesome gadgets, beautiful women, a suave British spy, and a real bad guy with his own super bad-ass bodyguard. Next is a solo adventure that plays straight through very smoothly , no missions, and awesome boss battles. Who doesn't love boss battles?

I can easily pick out my favorite parts about both of these games, but will it be that easy to pick out my favorite?

-----

Nightfire starts off in the middle of the action, as does most Bond movies. You are flying in a helicopter providing sniper fire for beautiful woman in a sports car. That screams Bond. And sniping? One of the most fun things in an FPS. The very first mission advises that you use stealth, but sometimes it is more fun to burst through the front door with guns-a-blazing. Plus, the first boss is a helicopter!

However, the multiplayer is incredible. The GCN version owns the PS2 version because it allows four player action without use of multitap and you can add 6 bots to the match. YES! BOTS! I do not know why more games don't do that. Perfect Dark executed bots perfectly (pun intended). Customizable attributes and difficulties. For the hardest match, make them all ninjas. With snipers. I put in countless hours of the multiplayer alone, and I must say it is the best shooter for multiple players on the Gamecube.

-----

Metroid Prime was the whole reason I wanted to get a Gamecube in the first place. It is beautiful. Perfectly paced. Great balance of fighting with exploration; one never dominates the other. I have said a lot about this game in two previous posts. Go find them yourself.

Metroid Prime does not need a multiplayer (and MP2 Echoes did not either, but they threw it in anyway; kinda dumb). But it is classic Metroid formula that gives the player this huge environment to traverse, with so many different areas that seem so unreal. Tallon IV has its rainy forest, hot magma caves, snowy drifts, underground mines, ancient ruins, and underground mines. The Space Pirates are so much scarier in this game than any other Metroid. There are some things holding MP back on my list, like how I have not given it more appreciation than it deserves. I am replaying it now on the side of my other gaming, and perhaps another playthrough could have swung the votes.

-----

This match up was both difficult and easy to decide at the same time. Which do I enjoy more: a fun multiplayer or an epic single player. In this case, it is the multiplayer. Nintendo fanboys, do not yell at me!!! I am one of you. But Corruption is much more fun than the first MP, and I feel that had an effect on the outcome. Plus to upset more people, I like Nightfire way more than Goldeneye.

Winner: James Bond 007: Nightfire

No comments: