Sunday, June 22, 2008

My Favorite Videogame: Bracket Challenge

So at work a few weeks ago, Andy asks me what is my favorite videogame. I honestly could not think of one definitive game, but I could name a few that I really loved (i.e. Tales of Symphonia, Tetris, Zelda). We both had this idea about bracketing my favorite games and seeding some over others.

So I have decided to do that now.

Here is my method. I have a list on my IGN account with the majority of games that I own in my collection (majority, not all of them). If not present, I would remember games and add them to the list afterward. I checked off games as I went down the list which were games that were all favorites. I came up with 29 of them, and then went back over it and added three more for an even 32 games. That will give four brackets of eight games a piece.

I picked the 1 and 2 seeds first, then the 8 and 7 seeds next, going outside in. The hardest choices were trying to seed the 5 and 6 games. Therefore, after a quick revision of my list and seeds, not all of them may be properly seeded as they are seen by me. Which is not a big problem, since each will face off against another, giving lower seeds a good chance against higher seeds (probably no 8 over 1 upsets, but calling any game an "underdog" may not be appropriate).

I may be able to do two matchups per day, except for those days that I am not at my computer (like when I am up north or just having a really lazy weekend).

Now you are wondering, "Tim, where are these brackets?" Right here. They are listed not in seeded order, but instead listed by bracket and matchup.


Bracket A
1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
8. Pokemon Blue
4. Killer 7
5. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
3. James Bond 007: Nightfire
6. Metroid Prime
2. Tetris
7. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

Bracket B
1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
8. Chrono Trigger
4. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
5. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
3. The Legend of Zelda
6. Syphon Filter
2. NHL ‘94
7. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Arcade Game

Bracket C
1. Resident Evil 4
8. Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
4. Final Fantasy VII
5. Golden Sun
3. Super Mario Bros. 3
6. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
2. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
7. Super Metroid

Bracket D
1. Tales of Symphonia
8. Halo 3
4. Contra
5. Metal Gear Solid
3. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
6. Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
2. Fire Emblem
7. Kirby’s Adventure


Hopefully, matchups will start tomorrow. I will do my best to make it as presentable and fun as possible. Hell, I will have a lot of time at work during the day to think about this kind of thing. The only obstacle is trying to remember it all when I get home in the late afternoon.

No comments: