Sunday, May 24, 2009

Modern Warfare 2

Call of Duty 4 was a cool game. It had a solid single-player campaign with one hell of a war story. Most of its renown came from its incredibly deep and playable online multiplayer.

We all know about online multiplayer and its importance in this generation's games. It can make or break an experience, and too many gamers beg for having an online mode, no matter how unnecessary it is. Resident Evil 5 (ugh, co-op emphasis again) wants you to play with somebody, but for some reason it has a deathmatch component (which is on the disc but you pay to unlock it?).

So World at War continued the same multiplayer experience, keeping the leveling system, prestige mode, unique perks, unlockable weapons and upgrades, and strategic maps. Single player was also pretty tight, although it was another WWII shooter, it took us to parts of the world that aren't normally featured. Marching from Mother Russia into the heart of the Reich was pretty epic.

Well, Modern Warfare 2 is coming. The teaser trailers have been released. We are expecting pretty much the same multiplayer experience, at least I am, and it's alright. But more exciting for me is the single player experience that looks really promising from the videos.



What I want from a single player campaign is roughly a 20-30 hour playthrough. To me, that does not sound like too much to ask. I want more than about a dozen missions. I want to be able to return to the game with hopes of thinking, "I want to play this certain level right now," and when I do, it is awesome. Give me unique objectives, different environments, solid characters, and the obligatory sniping mission.

Most importantly, give me this badass story that involves killing terrorists.

No comments: