Sunday, October 19, 2008

Super 16 - Bracket A - Match 2
















Vs.










Replay. I sort of replay these games in my head when it comes time to pit them head-to-head in this challenge. I also "replay" these updates, coming back to them because of the entertainment I receive from writing them. I will use replayability as a factor for this matchup between James Bond 007: Nightfire and Tetris.

-----

The single player in James Bond 007: Nightfire was a pretty good take on an original Bond story. The tried and true formula of Bond + Weapons + Gadgets + Beautiful Women = Badass holds up when Bond faces one of his toughest foes yet. The bad guy, Raphael Drake, is just another typical baddie with his super-hardcore body guard, Rook, trying to take over the world. Best missions: the sniper level and infiltrating the castle.

Single player does not have too much replay factor to it, like many first-person shooters. Instead, the multiplayer is what makes gamers come back to the game. As stated in the first round, Nightfire's multiplayer is extensive and fun for lacking any online mode. The Gamecube version tops the others for allowing four players to simultaneous play either against each other or against up to six bots. Yes, bots, like in Perfect Dark. Running a 2 v. 6 CTF versus all ninjas with sniper rifles can be about as hard as it gets.

I favor this game because of the multiplayer. Although it definitely lacks in today's standards of FPS games, such as Halo's online ranking system and Call of Duty's incredible depth and experience points, Nightfire's multiplayer was all local, and playing with friends is the best way to do it. My brother was my best partner when it came to capturing flags and killing ninjas.

-----

Tetris is the best puzzle game ever created. For fairness, however, I will have to write three paragraphs about this game when that one sentence should carry this game to the next round alone. Tetris has probably showed up on more gaming systems and electronic devices than I can count. While the image shows the NES title screen, it represents all games. The concept of Tetris is as simple as it can get: rotate block as it falls, fill an entire row, get points. You do not have to be a gamer to enjoy Tetris, but it helps.

Replayability for Tetris is insane. The only reasons I can think of why somebody would ever stop playing are to take a break after 200 or so lines or just out of frustration that you can never get that damn block that will wipe out four lines. Having this game on my calculator has gotten me through those boring days at school, and having the game on my phone has gotten me through some of those awful days at work. Tetris can always be trusted to lift spirits when having the joy of wiping out those lines.

I favor this game because it is simply the best puzzle game ever. None of that annoying "line-up-three-in-a-row" junk, just rotate, drop, and boom, there goes an entire row. A simple pick up and play game. I am surer that I mentioned that it is timeless; twenty years and this game is still considered one of the best for a handheld system. Killing time is perfect with Tetris (and Minesweeper, while I am at it).

-----

Anybody should be able to recognize through the arguments that replayability for one game is stronger than the other. Nightfire fails by today's standards; it is on a past generation's system and it lacks online. Tetris? Well, are there even standards for a puzzle game? If so, what are today's standards? I do not know, so that must mean Tetris will last another 20 years, even with the Playstation 6, Xbox 1080, and Nintendo AOOOOOGAAA (I needed a funny sounding word).

Winner: Tetris

No comments: