Saturday, July 12, 2008

Round 1 - Bracket B - Match 1

1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots





Vs.



8.
Chrono Trigger


Long time since the first round ended. I just get too lazy or too tired. It is a good thing that I never felt that way playing either of these first two games, otherwise I would have had a very dull gaming experience.

-----

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. I think that one sentence says more than anything I could type about it. This game was the whole reason I went out to buy a Playstation 3. I planned it out months in advance. I took my first two paychecks and used them for funding. I SAVED A BEST BUY GIFT CARD FOR SIX MONTHS. And it was so worth it.

Playing MGS: The Twin Snakes was my first experience playing the series. I could care less that there was more time watching cut scenes than there was playing the game. I was so wrapped into the story. Three games and years later, MGS4 comes into my life and makes my lame summer at home awesome again. At times, I do not even feel like I am playing the game (which is an extraordinary feeling for me as a gamer) since it totally pulls me into the story. MGS4 gives you the option to skip the cutscenes, which is good for speed runs and impatient players, but that would be stealing over half of the experience playing the game. (Do you really want to miss seeing Raiden fight Vamp? Or Raiden fighting a dozen Gekkos? Or Raiden doing anything at all? He is not even the main character!)

This game had favorite contention before it even came out. Gameplay is 40 times better than its predecessors because controls are boosted way up, and the action is a lot heavier, granted it is still a stealth game. The weapons are customizable (my favorite being the M4 with the scope and shotgun attachments), the graphics (OH THE GRAPHICS!) are the best ever, and the story is so over the top that while it does not make much sense, it still makes perfect sense. Already I feel bad for Chrono Trigger going up against Guns of the Patriots.

-----

I feel that if I had played Chrono Trigger on the SNES, I would have ranked it higher. Instead I played it as part of the Final Fantasy Chronicles on PS1, and the loading times between fights and the menu slowed the pace waaaaay down. As an RPG though, it is amazing. As soon as I could get Lucca out of my party, it got even better. The characters were very diverse, including a princess, a frog, a robot, a cavewoman... my oh my, that is a crazy cast. And Magus: what a badass.

This is an RPG at its finest. It is paced pretty well, and there were no random encounters. Whatever you saw on the screen is what you fought, and the fighting was brilliant. Games should have a battle system like Chrono Trigger. Everyone is on screen, the proximity of the enemies should be a factor, and combo attacks with two or three characters can be brutal.

Favorite? I really cannot say that it is. I am sorry. Hang me for such blasphemy. I really do not feel too bad for ranking it at number 8. Sure it was great, and could be beaten multiple times in one file (future, present, and past) and multiple endings were unheard of at that time, especially since there were 13 unique endings. Find me a copy for SNES, and then if I make this list again a decade from now, even when the next generation hits, maybe Chrono Trigger will be back up there.

-----

Wow, see what happens when I do not write for a while? I end up writing a lot. See it as a good thing: these games really are worthy of being my favorites. Both MGS4 and CT blended great gameplay with cool stories, and keep an eye out for which games appear later on that can say the same. But when it really comes down to it, the legendary hero Solid (Old) Snake puts Crono in a choke hold and doesn't let go.

Winner: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

No comments: