Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Guitar Hero: Greatest Hits

A few weeks ago, Activision revealed that they will release Guitar Hero: Greatest Hits, an installation to the franchise that will take pre-existing songs from Guitar Heroes 1-3 and Rocks the 80s, but will be playable as a full band. That means the existing guitar (and bass) will be accompanied with vocals and drums. Awesome!

I love this because hammer-ons were pretty much impossible to pull off (pun kinda intended) in GH1, making Cowboys From Hell damn hard to complete. I would love to see some of the more fun songs from the series be included in GH:GH, as well as some personal favorites.

Before I get into that, though, here are some confirmed songs to be included:

GH:
"I Love Rock 'n Roll" - Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
"Killer Queen" - Queen

GHII:
"Killing in the Name" - Rage Against the Machine
"Them Bones" - Alice in Chains

Rocks the 80s:
"I Wanna Rock" - Twisted Sister
"Nothin' but a Good Time" - Poison

GHIII:
"Barracuda" - Heart
"Through the Fire and Flames" - DragonForce

I've gotta say, of these songs, I will have to most fun doing the vocals for "I Wanna Rock." Also, I don't think any first tier songs should be in the game. If people are playing a Greatest Hits, they have played them all before and want more challenging songs.

Anyway, here is a list of five songs from each game that I would absolutely love to play in GH:GH, whether it be for awesome guitar charting, funky bass, bangin' drums, (vocals? meh) or just nostalgic value.

GH:
"Crossroads" - Cream
"Stellar" - Incubus
"Ace of Spades" - Motörhead
"Higher Ground" - Red Hot Chili Peppers
"Godzilla" - Blue Öyster Cult

GHII:
"Cherry Pie" - Warrant
"Who Was in My Room Last Night?" - The Butthole Surfers
"YYZ" - Rush
"Search and Destroy" - Iggy Pop and the Stooges
"Carry On Wayward Son" - Kansas

Rocks the 80s:
"Heat of the Moment" - Asia
"Synchronicity II" - The Police
"Only a Lad" - Oingo Boingo
"Seventeen" - Winger
"Play With Me" - Extreme

GHIII:
"3's & 7's" - Queens of the Stone Age
"Even Flow" - Pearl Jam
"Impulse" - An Endless Sporadic
"The Number of the Beast" - Iron Maiden
"My Curse" - Killswitch Engage

It may not be the perfect list of songs, and some even appear in Rock Band already. But I don't have Rock Band. If Activision wants me to buy this game, then they should be able to throw in a majority of the songs I want. I hope they also surprise me with some songs I may have overlooked, not thinking that the drums could be that fun.

I do know for certain: I want to play Crossroads and be able to hit the hammer-ons and pull-offs.

No comments: