Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Round 1 - Bracket D - Match 4

2. Fire Emblem





Vs.





7. Kirby's Adventure

This is it. We have finally made it to the end of round one. Fire Emblem blends amazing strategic gameplay with a very deep story in the first game of the series to see North America. Kirby's Adventure is a wonderfully imaginative game with the giant pink ball that can inhale virtually anything and absorb its power. Incredible.

-----

I loved playing Advance Wars on my GBA, so when I saw previews for Fire Emblem I got really excited. I was not let down. FE is hundreds of times better than AW. There was no need to capture cities and fund your army in FE, instead you had all of your characters ready to fight and move instantly. There were not different classes of units, instead every character was different. A Commanding Officer was not in charge off-site, but a lord commanded everybody and fought along side of them.

FE included three such lords: Lyn, Hector and Eliwood. If they die, then game over. If anyone dies, then they are gone for good. This added a whole lot of strategy to the game, since you did not just have to take out the enemies, but you had to keep your guys alive too. The fact that it was also an RPG made it better. Your characters earned experience from fights and leveled up. The stats we all randomly upgraded, and at a certain point you could upgrade a character's class to give them a boost in every category.

Along with the Golden Sun games, Fire Emblem is definitely a wonderful reason to own a GBA. It offered so much depth and strategic gameplay for a handheld game. This game should rank toward the top of my favorites because it gives me a majority of things I want in a videogame: character development, story, challenge, replayability, customization, etc. Why did it take so long for FE to reach America!?

-----

Kirby's Adventure was one of those games I could play as a youngling and adore. It was simple and friendly and (something I really love) colorful. Kirby must retrieve the Star Rod from King Dedede, and it takes him all over Dreamland. With the ability to inhale the enemies, Kirby could steal their powers and use them to advance. The coolest one was probably the cutter; it gave Kirby attitude.

Kirby's Adventure got easier as I got more experienced as a gamer. I can totally beat the game at 100% in about an hour. The bosses were pretty sweet (I do love boss fights) and the inclusion of having a Boss Rush mode was awesome. Of the sequels and remakes that this game has spawned, none are as good as the original. (Well, in the remake for the GBA youo could play the game as Meta-Knight, that was baller).

I consider this game a favorite because, as a gamer, I always have to return to my roots. Kirby's Adventure was one of the earliest games I was able to play, and play well. It is also so damn cute and adorable. Sometimes games do not need depth to be good, and Kirby is a great example.

-----

So, if our main characters from these games decided to fight, who would win? That could sort of be seen in Super Smash Bros., but unfortunately, Hector was not a playable character. Lyn is an assist trophey though, and Eliwood is kind of bland when compared to Marth or Ike. This is not even close to the topic at hand, so I will just end this abruptly and leave the conclusion for the Round 1 wrap-up.

Winner: Fire Emblem

No comments: