Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Round 1 - Bracket C - Match 4

2. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock





Vs.




7. Super Metroid

We are almost there; three quarters of the way through the first round. To finish off Bracket C, Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock with go into a pro face off against Super Metroid. Probably playing Dragonforce. No, not really. Writing these intros has become stale and banal. The second round's will be more exciting. So much closer. I cannot wait for it.

-----

Are you ready to rock!?!?!?!?!? Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock is my favorite of the rock simulation games because of its playability. Notes are easier to hit and therefore the gameplay is more rewarding. Online mode is excellent; it definitely beats playing a song by myself when I can own a random stranger online. Best part about Wii's online mode: more people are playing online with the Wii than there are people playing on XBox Live.

My Wii version does not have downloadable content, but I am over it. I do not really need most of those songs anyway. Something to look forward to is that World Tour will have the very first downloadable content for any Wii game. The peripherals look much better than any previous installment's, and the drums look better than Rock Band's.

I love playing Guitar Hero. There have been times when I get so carried away that it is so hard for me to stop playing. Best songs? Reptilia, Helicopter, My Name is Jonas, One, 3's and 7's, Knights of Cydonia, Cliffs of Dover, Cities on Flame With Rock and Roll. Love these songs. If I could just throw together all the best songs from all GH games, I would be so happy. Mr. Fix It.

-----

Super Metroid is without a doubt the best 2D Metroid game around. It really is the third game of the series, but plotwise it takes place before Metroid Fusion, and Samus and the Galactic Federation are trying to take back the last surviving Metroid. It is not a bad Metroid, it thinks Samus is its mother. And thankfully too, because it **SPOILER** sacrifices itself in the end during the battle with Mother Brain.

Super Metroid has a gigantic world to explore and re-explore times over. It has some epic boss battles (most specifically Kraid and Ridley). Classic elements are at play, and the introduction of the grapple beam, among other items, create a brilliant gameplay that is always progressive and sometimes frustrating.

Metroid games are amazing, and Super Metroid is one of my favorite SNES games because of how different it is from a lot of other games that are in my SNES collection. Maybe not my favorite Metroid game (that might have already been discussed), despite having the cartridge I really wanted to download it to my Wii (nope, saved the 800 points for Super Mario RPG, as you might have heard).

-----

These sometimes seem like lopsided battles. I know who will come out the victor beforehand, and when I get halfway through the post, it becomes a little harder to carry on. But it s the first round; the time to separate the men from the boys, so to speak. While Samus is neither a man nor boy (but a hot chick), she falls to Guitar Hero's rocking awesomeness.

Winner: Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock

No comments: