Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Round 1 - Bracket C - Match 1

1. Resident Evil 4





Vs.





8. Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

Another Gamecube showdown. Solid. Pretty different games, but if if I had to speak out about which game gives me violent tendencies, it's Mario Kart. Who cares if I emulate the violence in Resident Evil 4? I JUST GOT DRILLED BY A F***ING BLUE SHELL!!!

-----

Many game franchises have tried to switch gameplay drastically in order to reach a bigger market and to take their series into a more mainstream and popular approach. Some have been mentioned earlier; so let us rejoice at the choice Capcom made when they took the static camera angles from the corners of rooms or alleys or stairways or elevators or OH GOD WHAT IS THAT!?!?!? GET OFF OF ME GET OFF OF MEEEEE!!!! to the third person camera behind Leon's shoulder.

Do not get me wrong. The cameras in Resident Evil 1, 2 and 3 all worked with the mood and setting in which they all took place. RE4 wanted to get a little more intense by letting you see exactly what is in front of you and nothing of what is behind. Think for a second: whould you be more scared by a chainsaw weilding madman wearing a potato sack on his head from a top down view or from the third-person camera where you can see the hijo de perra running right at'cha ready to take off your head? Yup.

I show the Gamecube cover because that is the first one that I played and the original (and classic). I love originals. But... I also love the Wii Edition. Controls made the game soooo much more fun. Headshots like woah. And The Mercenaries minigame!? EXCELLENT! Replay value up the wall. Upgradable weapons, larger inventory space, super bad guys (like Krauser [and Wesker, but he wasn't in the main story]).

-----

So I took Mario Kart: Double Dash!! over Super Mario Kart or Mario Kart 64 or Mario Kart Wii because, simply, I am unbeatable in DD. That and the computer F***ing cheats in Mario Kart Wii. And DD you can pick two characters instead of one. And pick your own style of kart. That was really awesome. Nintendo really knows how to do multiplayer games. Local multiplayer games. Quit whining about the Wii's lackluster online play for SSBB, it is way more fun when you can kick someone's ass while they sit right next to you.

MKWii is also silly for not letting you play Grand Prix with two players. In DD, I could grab a friend (or actually just my sister) and she would help take out the competition so we could both have loads of fun racing while I finish at the top, take in the golds, and unlock all the characters and karts. Who wants to just play by themself to do all that? Yeah. (MKWii, you do have a sweet online mode though; very quick matches and a little more fair than the computer).

Mario Kart games are most definitely the best racing games ever. I could care less for a NASCAR race or an Indy race or an illegal street race. I want to be able to f*** up my opponents as much as possible. Plus, they have our favorite Nintendo characaters, like Koopa Trooper!!!! (that was for Ben). Yeah, you know what I mean.

-----

It is always tiring once I get to this point of the post. I know the outcome before the match most of the time, and this is one of those cacses. Resident Evil 4 is a top seeded game for a multitude of very good reasons. Mario Kart: Double Dash!! was included to the list basically on principle.

Winner: Resident Evil 4

No comments: