Saturday, August 23, 2008

Round 1 - Bracket B - Match 4

2. NHL '94




Vs.





7. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game


Ok, so it has been over a month since the last match up. Now I am back at school and I can fit this into a schedule of updates. With this contest, we face two notably older games. Up first is the best hockey game ever made. Following that is the greatest arcade game ever made (yep, even better than Revolution X), even though I will write about the NES version.

-----

NHL '94 just may be the sole reason I love hockey so much. My team? The New York Rangers. When I think of players still active today, I go back to the "golden age" of the teams that they used to be on. Jagr still in Pittsburgh. Fedorov a Red Wing. Salenne on the Jets. The Quebic Nordiques are still a team!!!

This is the game to rule all sports sims. No hockey game shall ever surpass it. Hockey videgames are easily the most entertaining to play of any sports games. Here is what is wrong with other major sports: basketball is too high-scoring, football is too strategic and streaky, baseball is paced too slow and is completely random, and soccer is too open and low-scoring. Hockey is quick paced, every goal counts, team work is a must, and it has one-timers.

With favorite in consideration, NHL '94 specifically has no bad teams, unless you count the Ottawa Senators. Terrible. The rosters are golden. The controls are tight. The games may play the same, but you cannot get sick of it. Score a hat trick and the fans throw their lids onto the ice. So what if there is no fighting in this game? When has an NHL sim had a decent fight to it? Include a fight that handles like Soul Calibur and then we'll talk.

-----

When I think of the best local mulitplayer video games, after Contra I immediately go to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game. Not necessarily a hack 'n slash, since you cannot really do either with a bo, psis or nunchakus (the swords you can). The first level is a great challenge in itself and so are the bosses. The NES version has more levels and content than the actual arcade version, so that is a plus. Also, you do not need to pump quarter after quarter when you die.

In short, these guys are the world's most fearsome fighting team. They're heroes in a half-shell, and they're green! I will stop the cartoon's theme song now before I get too carried away. But what better cartoon to base a video game on? They set up great characters, great villains, a simple plot (Oh no! April has been kidnapped!), and an easy premise of moving forward and killing everything that moves. Playing as Michelangelo, I can enjoy all of these.

The is probably my favorite arcade based game. Most likely because arcades are not really in existence these days and I do not play a whole bunch of arcade games. It also helps that I absolutely loved the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Whenever I think of which turtle I would be, ( I immediately rule out Michelangelo because I am not a party dude, and Raphael because I am weak and not hot-headed) I could be Leonardo for the leadership skills, but I would be more of a Donatello for my love of technology. That and I'm a bitch.

-----

So now that I have given you two reasons why I keep my NES and SNES, which of these games deserves more love from me? It is definitely NHL '94. Forget the 15 year old rosters, this game is a timeless gem. It appears on so many lists for the greatest sports games of all time, and graces the top of a bunch of these lists. Lots of love to TMNT, but it gets beat out in this match.

Winner: NHL '94

No comments: