Tuesday, January 18, 2011

153 Lines - UPDATE

I love Tetris. I play it multiple times each day. I'm the kind of player that should be described as "Go big or go home." I set up for the Tetrises (four-line boomshakalas) even when it comes to the higher-speed, late stages. If a problem arises, I will solve it, even if it means exacerbating the situation I was already in.

But I live for the Tetrises.

This afternoon as I played my first game of the day, same strategy. I'm rolling through, getting primed for a new high score. (Note: a new high score in points; 153 lines in not close the the highest amount of lines I have scored, which has exceed 200.) My current high score is 137,986 with 106 lines.

Yes, 106 lines. Go big or go home.

And as you can tell by the title of this post, I had 153 lines. But I came across a slight misplacement of an L-block, and there was no way I could correct. I finished with 128,936 points. What was my problem? Well, I knew the risks before I started playing.

The risk of putting iTunes on shuffle while playing.

I typically just play an album straight through so I don't get caught off-guard with a slower rhythm in a song. But I can't risk pausing Tetris to switch songs and throw off my own rhythm.

Here are the songs that played during my run:

Sukie in the Graveyard - Belle and Sebastian
Five - Ratatat
Everything Will Be Alright - The Killers

Can you see what killed me? Everything was not alright when The Killers started playing. I was distracted because as the tempo increased in Tetris, it slowed in the music. Yet I was still able to manage just one more Tetris until a new high score.

UPDATE: 12 hours later (it is now 1:30 a.m.) I scored 150240 with 150 lines. Thank you Deerhunter.

UPDATE 2: One week later, 178 lines and 188,801. With iTunes on Shuffle.

1 comment:

Danny B said...

I feel as if you updated it just for me. And I appreciate that.