Tuesday, April 27, 2010

It's weird, but I like it! - Anamanaguchi

So I'm still awake at a quarter after 1, and my iTunes are on shuffle. Helix Nebula by Anamanaguchi starts playing, and I smile. It is such an odd song by such an odd band, but it always brings a feeling of joy to me.



In a way, it's weird, but I like it.

And that is my new idea. Why not write a couple of posts and have a series called "It's weird, but I like it?" This is that inaugural post.

Anamanaguchi "makes loud, fast music with a hacked NES from 1985." And it's awesome. I'm a fan of guitar riffs and fast beats; anything that is really upbeat and rocking. My gaming roots absolutely love the synth beeps and boops, especially how they rise and fall.

Without any lyrics or words, the song tells a story, and it's all in 8-bit. My favorite parts? When the beat chops during the bridge, around marks 1:02 and 1:53.

When I first heard these guys, I was pretty amazed with what they were doing, and I saw how they did it through videos and such from YouTube. It really wasn't until a few plays after where I started picking out each individual instrument playing with the melody. The guitars riff awesomely and keep that upbeat rhythm, and the drums keep pounding.

Why hasn't anybody made a Rock Band chart for any of their songs yet? I would love to drum along with any of their songs, but especially Helix Nebula.

It's weird, but I like it.

No comments: