Monday, March 01, 2010

8001050FPS3WTF

I saw last night that PS3's were just dropping like flies. Inability to connect to PlayStation Network, system errors, trophy corruptions... this stuff shouldn't happen. It's not an XBox 360.

Well, IGN's got the skinny on this ERROR. (Sorry, but error seemed like a word that needed to be capitalized.)

And here is what Sony has to say about this.

I have an 80gb PS3, so it falls under that category as being a "fat" model, (i.e. not slim). This error could happen to me, if I chose to turn on my PS3. Which after hearing about this, I will refuse to turn on until Sony "engineers" fix this problem.

As IGN reports:

Sony says that there's a bug in "the clock functionality incorporated in the system". What that means is that affected systems are resetting their internal clocks to 12/31/99, and this is causing a whole mess of problems including the inability to log into the PlayStation Network, start games and play certain video rentals. In addition, Trophy data for the games you're trying and failing to play turns into "corrupt data".


Sony hopes to fix this problem by Tuesday morning. Until then, any trophies that were earned before syncing them with a PSN account probably will not come back. Any game save files shouldn't be affected at all, since it's on the hard drive.

To relieve my four readers (and four is a vast overestimation) I have NOT turned on my PS3 in the past 4-5 days, and after learning of this, I completely switched it off, and not resting it with the red standby light.

Now, I love my PS3. It is a powerhouse of a gaming system, and so much more. Sony has a great history of success and hardware that doesn't blow. They have great gaming libraries, wonderful graphic capabilities, a classic controller that holds onto its origins because, simply, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Now, when Sony says that the PS3 "does everything," you can include the Y2K bug into that mix.

(Really? A freakin' bug in the clock functionality? That's the way it goes down? I would have been more impressed if it could spontaneously catch fire like my our laptop has the potential to do if I ever choose to plug it back in. A CLOCK MALFUNCTION!? At least I know this can be patched, and I don't have to ship my system to the manufacturer. BUT REALLY???? A CLOCK. MALFUNCTION. It's not even a leap year!)

No comments: